Monday, November 17, 2008

Spartans: supsupsup!?

I felt bad for the Spartans in this play bcuz I feel that they were poorly represented in the play. Idk if it was the translation or if it was Aristophanes but I didt like this in Lysistrata. I feel that the Spartans were portrayed as dumb, uneducated, "country" people which made them seem like they were less than they really were. It almost established some type of social status in the play bcuz evryone else spoke normal and they were civilized but the Spartans were obnoxious. It didnt fit any historical info on Spartans bcuz they were very aggressive but they were barbaric and uncivilized when in actuality, they were some of the best warriors in history!...idk what do u guys think? supsupsup!

2 comments:

KC said...

I think that the Spartans were portrayed in this way only through translation, as the author was trying to make a connection to Americans that we would understand. By making the Spartans talk and act similarly the stereotypical southerner, we are able to more easily relate to and understand the story.

Will said...

What I want to know is why did Aristophanes make the Spartans have accents in the origional play? Was Aristophanes an Athenian and hold a slight bias? I'm curious as to why it was necessary to make the Spartans use a particular dialect.