Monday, October 27, 2008

Lorca vs. Ibsen: supsupsupsup?

As I read both House of Bernarda Alba by Lorca and Hedda Gabler by Ibsen, I couldnt help but notice alot of similarities between the 2 plays. For one, I noticed a theme of oppression and a power struggle between women and what society sees them as. The only difference is that the girls in House of Bernarda Alba were a bit reserved in their approach to get freedom. Alot of the daughters didnt start to speak up or fight back until the end...But in Hedda Gabler, Hedda started out fighting and claiming authority over what was hers. Also, I noticed that both protagonists (Hedda and Adela) felt so much pressure and control over their lives, that they saw death by their own hand as an only means of escape. What do u guys think?
~supsupsupsup?

1 comment:

KC said...

I agree. I think that both Hedda and Adela found it necessary to kill themselves because of the fact that they were unable to gain any kind o control over themselves or others around them.